When your print spooler subsystem fails to stop or start properly it can show you such an error:
Could not start (stop) the Print Spooler service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Usually when this error appears you are unable to install any printer driver. This error can have different reasons. It can be file, registry corruption or print spooler dependencies fail.
To fix this problem fast you can use Printer Spooler Fix Wizard:
Fix error 1053 manually
You can do the following.
1. Use System File Checking utility.
To do it press a combination of “Windows” and “R” buttons. In opened Run console type in “cmd” without quotes and press Enter. In command prompt that will open (black window with white letters) type:
(Note: in Windows XP installation disk will be required for this operation)
After scan will finish it will tell you if anything wrong was found and fixed. After this in the command prompt type “net start spooler” without quotes and see if Print Spooler will start successfully. If you have Windows XP Service Pack 1 or 2 this problem can be solved by installing latest Service Pack 3.
If you have XP installation disk you can also try the following:
1. Insert XP disk into CD/DVD-ROM.
2. Click Start > Run and in Run console type:
EXPAND /r “CDDriveLetter”\i386 \SPOOLSV.EX_ C:\Windows\System32
3. Click Start > Run and in Run console type:
After this you can go to Services and start Print Spooler from there or go to Command Prompt again and start it from there.
Print Spooler error 1053 and Kodak printers
Specific problem with print spooler error 1053 in Windows XP and Kodak printers were spotted. If you have Kodak printer this manual can help you:
1. Download Kodak Clear Utility
2. Disconnect from the Internet and turn off any real-time protection software you have.
3. Run the Clear Utility and follow any prompts.
4. Reboot your system.
5. Try to start Print Spooler service.
Error 1053 and Lexmark printers
If you have old Lexmark printer try removing LexBce service from Print Spooler dependencies as it can hang it. Use this manual:
1. Choose Start > Run.
2. Type regedit in the text box, and then press enter.
3. Browse to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler
4. Right-click DependOnService, and click Modify.
5. Remove LexBce service and leave any other service.
6. Restart the computer.
If you find this instructions difficult you can use Printer Spooler Fix Wizard – it will fix it in a minute. Fix for print spooler error 1053 can be found here:
Information provided by: Alexey Abalmasov