Print spooler is an important service in Windows Operating System that provides the normal transmission of information from the PC to Printer. So, it is responsible for the normal print query and for the whole printing process. If Print Spooler crashes, then printer will not perform its function properly. The reasons of this problem can be different, for example corrupted printer drivers (or just incompatible) or corrupted spool files. This article will teach you how to fix Print Spooler error in Windows 8 and make your printer work properly.
Print Spooler problems were in the previous versions of Windows, so they exist in Windows 8 version also. So, if you are reading this article, then you confirm this statement. There are many types of error messages that you can see when you try to print, most of them are about Print Spooler malfunction. If you cannot print anything then it is high time to fix Print Spooler error in Windows 8, using the instructions from this page.
So, let’s check if the problem is in the print drivers:
- Right-click lower left corner and click All Apps.
- Click Control Panel; under Hardware, view Devices and printers.
- Click your printer, find Remove Device and remove your printer. Back out to Metro.
- Disconnect your printer cable.
- Turn the printer on.
- Download the latest drivers for Windows 8 (if no Windows 8 drivers for your printer, then you should download for Windows 7 or Vista).
- Click the Windows Explorer icon and navigate to “Downloads” under your name.
- Right-click the driver file and extract it to the Downloads folder. Go into that folder, find setup.exe – But do not execute it yet.
- Right-click Setup, then select Properties, then click Compatibility, then choose Windows 7 (or Vista).
- Then click Run as administrator, Apply and OK.
- Execute the setup. It should prompt you when to turn on the printer (just connect the printer cable back).
If the reason of your print spooler problem is in the corrupted or incompatible drivers, then this method will fix Print Spooler error in Windows 8. If not then try to restart Print Spooler Service:
- Right-click the lower left corner of the computer screen to open the menu.
- Click Search, then click Settings.
- In the Search box type type Services.
- From the search results list, click View local services.
- Scroll down the list until you find Print Spooler.
- Right-click Print Spooler and select Restart
This method can solve the problem once and forever, but there are cases when this instruction fixes Print Spooler error in Windows 8 just for some time and then the error will appear again. If all the described methods were not helpful for you or you think that they are too hard to perform, then you should use the automatic tool: This utility will fix Print Spooler error in Windows 8 for sure. This Fix Wizard is a very easy-to-use program that will make your print spooler service work properly.